Do I have to file an income tax return if I am living and working overseas?

Although it may be tempting, you must not ignore your U.S. taxes.  Nearly every U.S. citizen and Green Card holder - regardless of whether they are living in the U.S. or abroad - is generally required to file a U.S. income tax return each year to report their worldwide income. Even some states require that you file a tax return when living abroad.

Filing taxes does not need to be a burden.

Preparing tax returns is always a hassle. US Expat taxes add even more frustration because of the special tax rules for expats, the complexity of the ever-changing US tax code, Income Tax Treaties and totalization agreements. There are many tax risks with filing a return for American expatriates but there are also many opportunities! That is why it is important to have your tax return prepared by international tax professionals who understand the complex tax laws and dedicate themselves to Americans working abroad.

US Expat Tax Help is a year-round tax firm specializing in meeting the tax needs of Americans living overseas, US resident aliens and non-resident aliens. We know the tax situation for expatriates is often complicated and frustrating. Whether its filing a current year tax return, preparing years of unfiled tax returns or resolving an IRS problem, we assist our satisfied clients with every aspect of tax preparation and tax planning. 

There's no need for expats to pay more than required - or suffer under penalties and interest - just because the process is more confusing for them. Leave the hassle of preparing your tax returns to us.

Get Started Now

Do you have years of unfiled tax returns?

Do you have years of unfiled FBARs?

Contact Our Office Today

Let us help you navigate the tricky waters of U.S. taxes for expats. Give us a call or send us an email today - and use more of your money to enjoy your life abroad.

Expatriate 2019 Tax Filing Due Dates

(For 2018 returns)

April 15, 2019 - Due date for US federal income tax returns (if you are living abroad on 04/15 your return gets an automatic extension until 6/17) and FBARs (you can get an automatic extension until 10/15) US Treasury Form of Report of Foreign Bank Accounts                                                                 

April 15, 2019 - Due date for payment of any taxes due for 2018 (if you are living abroad on 04/15/19 your tax return gets an automatic extension until 6/17/19 - however, you will have to pay interest on any tax not paid by the regular due date (04/15/19) of your return )

June 17, 2019 - Due date to file income tax returns for United States citizens or residents whose tax homes and abodes, in a real and substantial sense, are outside the United States and Puerto Rico. Last day to file for an extension.    

October 15, 2019 - Extended due date for Form 1040 and FBARs

December 16, 2019 - Extended Due Date for Form 1040 with additional extension request submitted