Get Your IRS File

What can I do if I need a copy of my US Expat tax return?

Did you know that you can obtain a copy of your IRS file? Most people would be surprised to learn how much the IRS knows about them. Obtaining a copy of your IRS file is critical in analyzing the options available to resolve your tax problems. 

Even as an expatriate, you can request a transcript of your tax return. Transcripts provide taxpayers with a list of most of the line items on the tax returns they originally filed with all the forms and schedules. Transcripts are available for the current tax year plus the three past tax years.

If you or the IRS made any changes to the orginally filed return, you can request a tax account transcript. The tax account transcript shows the taxpayer basic data which will include their marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross income and taxable income.

Transcripts are provided free of charge!

A taxpayer can choose one of three methods to request their transcripts

  • Online at
  • By phone toll free in the US at 800-908-9946
  • By mail - To request a 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ tax return transcript through the mail, complete IRS Form 4506T-EZ, Short Form Request for Individual Tax Return Transcript. Businesses, partnerships and individuals who need transcript information from other forms or need a tax account transcript must use the Form 4506T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return.

If you are overseas and still require an actual copy of a previously processed tax return, it will cost $57 for each tax year that you order. Complete Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return, and mail it to the IRS

Individuals (Form 1040 Series)


Stop 6716 AUSC

Austin, TX 73301

All Other Returns


PO Box 9941

Mail Stop 6734

Ogden, UT 84409

Copies are generally available for the current year as well as the past six years. 

Requesting copies of your IRS file is best done by a professional who understands how to obtain them without raising any red flags as well as how to interpret the information in your file. US Expat Tax Help has experienced tax professionals specializing in US expatriate taxation. 

We can help you obtain a copy of your IRS file and analyze your options. Please complete the form on the bottom of this page to get a no free consultations with our tax specialist.

Best Time To Call

[ Show a different Image ]