U.S. Tax Returns

Did you know that the United States taxes its citizens and U.S. green card holders on their worldwide income? Even if you do not reside within the US or its territories, you are still required to file an income tax return.

Preparing tax returns is always a hassle. US Expat taxes add even more frustration because of the special tax rules for expats, the complexity of the ever-changing US tax code, Income Tax Treaties and totalization agreements. There are many tax risks with filing a return for American expatriates but there are also many opportunities! That is why it is important to have your tax return prepared by international tax professionals who understand the complex tax laws and dedicate themselves to Americans working abroad.

In addition to income tax returns, you must also report whether you have foreign bank or investment accounts. This may add to you reporting burden because you may be required to comply with Foreign Bank and Financial Account Reporting and Foreign Financial Asset Reporting. Very costly penalties can be imposed if you do not report correctly. Missing filing a form because you didn't know about it is, unfortunately, not an excuse in the eyes of the IRS.

Congress has passed some very confusing new tax laws. By changing everything around, Congress has made filing an accurate return nearly impossible. Save yourself some time and worry. Let a professional do the work for you.

Do US citizens have to pay US taxes on foreign income?

US citizens are taxed on their worldwide income. Fortunately, there are opportunities for U.S. expats to avoid double taxation on their foreign income, but you must file a tax return and make the proper elections to qualify for these benefits. If you do not file a return, the IRS can deny you these benefits. The tax saving benefits include:

  • Foreign Earned Income Exclusion -- you may may qualify to exclude from income up to an amount of your foreign earnings that is adjusted for inflation ($91,400 for 2009, $91,500 for 2010, $92,200 for 2011, $95,100 for 2012, $97,600 in 2013) but only if properly elected on you return.
  • Foreign Housing Exclusion or Foreign Housing Deduction
  • Foreign Tax Credits
  • Tax Treaty Benefits
  • Totalization Agreements

US Expat Tax Help provides year-round expert tax solutions for US expatriates residing overseas and for foreign nationals including resident or non-resident aliens with IRS tax exposure.

US Expat Tax Help provides a professional online tax consulting and tax preparation services for:

  • U.S. expatriates residing around the globe
  • Resident and Non-resident aliens that have U.S. income tax exposure 
  • U.S. Citizens married to Non-U.S. citizens with U.S. income tax exposure